Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

St. Patrick's Extended

We did an Irish themed dinner tonight with friends (thanks Danielle and Tim!) Since I don't eat cows, I was looking to bring something I could eat, since the menu called for corned beef (and generally the cabbage and potatoes are boiled with the meat, which makes them taste gross if you don't eat beef.)

I came across this recipe for something called Colcannon.

http://food52.com/recipes/11988-how-we-survived-colcannon

Colcannon, according to Slate.com, where they had referenced this recipe, is "Irish peasant food." Essentially mashed potatoes with cabbage, it was actually really good. Infusing the milk with peppercorns and garlic really worked (I had my doubts), and imparted a good garlic flavor to the dish. I substitute olive oil for the butter they call for in the recipe, and did not serve it in bowls with additional butter. I probably added a little more salt than the recipe calls for.

Overall, simple, easy to make, hearty and cheap. Peasant food, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment